Thursday, October 8, 2009

Leap of Faith

What would convince me to jump from a small platform 45 feet in the air? The fact that a bunch of my students were on the ground holding the rope in case I didn't reach the trapeze bar? Were any of them upset about grades? Now was their chance. But a group of about 20 of our philosophy majors went out to Tilikum for a retreat last weekend and this was part of what we did.

I did in fact miss the bar--though I got one hand on it--and they did in fact catch me before I hit the ground. But come to think of it, they also said 'farther, farther' when I asked them how far out I should ask to have the bar moved away from my little platform. But I did, and do, trust them--even if I may not have evidence to prove it. After hanging out in the woods with them all weekend, in fact, I trust them all the more. It is such a good thing to be out in God's beauty--it quickly convinces me that we are not as separate from the rest of creation as we modern folk pretend to be. And being out there with other people is a great way to realize that we are not as separated from other people as we modern folk pretend to be. Thanks to Tilikum for helping us to have that opportunity!

No comments: