Monday, September 7, 2009

Happy Reaper

I was amazed at how delightful it is to get into the rhythm of swinging a 2-foot blade back and forth across the lawn. This thing is solar powered (indirectly--via the food I eat which is produced by the sun), and I've never had so much fun mowing the lawn. I was looking for a way to cut the lawn high (making even longer, healthier roots) that did not involve a gas- powered mower.

I decided to try this and could not believe how well it worked. I was convinced my lawn would be all hacked up, but it came out looking not bad. If you'd like to give it a try, feel free to come over and test it on my lawn (but you'll have to get it away from me first). =)

Post Script: (added 10-8-09). I just read a short 3 page essay by Wendell Berry entitled "A Good Scythe" found in The Gift of Good Land on how much better a scythe is than a power weed whacker. Better, that is, at doing the job, and much more enjoyable to use--he actually finds it a pleasure to use. And I couldn't agree more. Here's a quote:

"The Marugg grass scythe proves itself an excellent tool. It is the most satisfying hand tool that I have ever used. In tough grass it cuts a little less uniformly than the power scythe. In all other ways, in my opinion, it is a better tool because, it is light, it handles gracefully & comfortably even on steep ground, it is far less dangerous, it is quiet & makes no fumes, it is much more adaptable. In rank growth one narrows the cut & shortens the stroke. It always starts - provided the user will start. Aside from reasonable skill & care in use, there are no maintenance problems. It requires no fuel or oil. It runs on breakfast. It’s cheaper to buy than most weed eaters & is cheaper to use than any other power mower. And best of all it’s good exercise."

2 comments:

Larry said...

Hi,
I have a small subdivision project here in Newberg. We've been selected as a pilot project for Earth Advantage Sustainable Communities Program. We are doing some innovative things with the street and storm water and open space. I like your lawn and I was wondering if I could meet with you and talk about it more to see if we can use it in our project.
Thanks,
Larry Anderson
503-537-1110
andeng1@comcast.net

CW Beals said...

Larry,
Sure, I'd love to. I'd also like to hear more about Earth Advantage Sustainable Communities Program.